VPN connections are becoming increasingly popular, they are no longer tools only used in the business world, now, many people concerned about their security have begun to use this type of connection to protect themselves from cyber attacks. What is a VPN connection and what can it do for you?
A Virtual Private Network, is a type of network in which an extension of a private network is created for access to the Internet. To explain it in a simple way, it could be said that it is an “invisible cable” that joins the user with another location, this cable is called a “tunnel”, and it is the channel where the information will travel when encrypted.
How does it work?
Normally when you connect to the internet, you do it with your service provider which will take you to the website you want to visit, but this information always goes your provider’s servers who have access to this information.
The VPN will allow you to connect with an encrypted connection, so the data you view can not be seen or decrypted by your provider, in this case it will appear that the VPN is the one that is connected to those sites, not your device.
Types of VPN networks
There are two types of VPN networks: client-based and network-based.
– Client-based VPN: Allows the user to connect to a remote network through an application. They create a username and password, next an encrypted channel is automatically created between the computer and the network, where the data exchange is executed.
– Network-based VPN: It allows the user to connect different networks to each other through the Internet. This type of VPN network is used by companies that have offices in different cities and parts of the world, in order to connect with each other and share information in a secure way.
Advantages of using it:
- You can access your company’s network safely if you are traveling, for example if you are at home you can see the company’s shared files from your device safely.
- With the VPN you can hide and protect your data because the data travelling is encrypted, therefore there will be no way to track your activity. It is ideal when you need to make a banking transaction where sensitive data is handled. This option is the reason why it is recommended to have a VPN when it is necessary to connect to a public Wifi.
- Avoid censorship and geographic blocking: In many countries restrictions are placed on Internet information. It is possible that a web page only allows access if you are browsing from a particular country, and if you are not there you can not visit the site. With a VPN hosted in that country, it will appear that you are browsing from the same place where the website is located, so you can access the content without any problem. Similarly, if in the country where you are there are censored pages, you can connect to the VPN of another country to access that information.
- It works for all applications and websites, since it directs all internet traffic through its own channel.
Not everything that shines is gold …
Certainly the VPN network adds a layer of security that gives greater protection to your Internet connection, however, not everything that shines is gold. While browsing with a VPN, your browsing data remains incognito for your provider, but not for the company that manages the VPN.
Therefore you should not trust the security of your information only to this type of connection because if you fall into a dishonest company, they could keep records of your information or even sell it to the highest bidder. Therefore, the ideal action is to select the a VPN with the best reputation on the market.
There are many types of VPN connections on the web, while some are free others payment. To choose the proper one, it is important to take into account the speed, reliability and security offered by the service.
Add more security to your files
No system is foolproof, the only thing you can do is add additional security layers to further protect your information. You can use other applications such as Hushapp when you want to share important documents through the internet. This application allows you to protect each file individually and easily. We also work with Zero Knowledge Technology, so we have no way to know your information or your passwords.
We invite you to try Hushapp …