One of the basic measures to protect yourself from a cyber attack is to avoid connecting to public networks. Often times they lack security whatsoever and can be an open door for cyber attackers. However, sometimes there is no choice but to connect to a public WiFi, in that case, you can take some precautionary measures that will allow you to navigate in a more secure way with this type of connection.
10 Tips for using public WiFi securely
- Make sure you connect to networks with WPA security or WP2, avoid networks with WEP security, as they are not secure enough.
- Use a VPN: If possible use a virtual private network (Virtual Private Network), so the IP address of your devices will be hidden from the websites you visit, your browsing is completely anonymous. Web traffic is also encrypted, which means that even your Internet service provider can not see your activity online.
- Keep all the software and applications on your devices and mobile devices updated.
- Always try to navigate through secure pages, where data travels encrypted (with the URL that starts in HTTPS).
- Disable the synchronization processes of your equipment by connecting only what is necessary when you use the public WiFi
- Avoid logging into any service or website where you need to place your username and password. Avoid making banking transactions, online purchases or other tasks that involve exchanging sensitive data through this type of network.
- After you have connected to a public WiFi network, it is convenient to delete from the memory of your devices the list of old SSIDs or public networks to which you have previously connected.
- It is essential that you have installed security solutions for your equipment, which can keep viruses and malware away. There are also other options for mobile devices that analyze the existence of possible connections, alert, and ask for confirmation when you want to connect to one of them.
- Encrypt your files and avoid sharing sensitive information through such networks: In addition to adding security solutions to prevent any potential cyber attack, you should make sure your files do not reach unwanted hands. Using the HushApp Hushbox you can keep your files safe, as they will remain encrypted on your mobile device. You can also share your files with your contacts (even if they do not have the application) and they will remain protected, from the moment you send them until your recipients receive it.
- Disable the automatic connection: Generally we have activated this option, to be able to search for a Wifi and thus avoid spending our data. It would be advisable to disable this option, and make the connection manually to ensure that when you need to connect you can simply check if you meet the security measures mentioned above.
The criminals will take advantage of any small oversight to access your equipment and finally to your most private information. You must follow all possible security measures that you can take to avoid a cyber attack.