Email is still the best way for companies to communicate today, it is the most convenient way to send and share files. However, it is important to use with caution because many cyber-attacks that occur in companies, originate in email. A prime place where cybercriminals can get information directly from employees. To make sure your email is protected, follow these cybersecurity tips to protect your corporate email.
9 Cybersecurity tips to protect your company’s email
- Must ensure your employees understand the risks of a cyberattack and how to be safe so companies can cybersecurity culture in the company.
- Do not use corporate email for personal purposes, to avoid getting additional opportunities for unauthorized people to invade a company’s system.
- In case you lose your password, link your email to another alternative account, preferably another from the company. Add double factor authentication for added security.
- Do not post your corporate email address in forums, social media, etc.
- Create email accounts for different tasks, for example, using an additional account to subscribe to new services where your security policy is unknown. Having multiple accounts decreases chances of getting hacked and losing private information.
- Watch where you access with your email: Do not open your corporate email from networks outside the company, in case you have to do so, open a incognito window and close all other sessions.
- Beware of phishing: an email with malicious content is designed to deceive you, so it is important to be alert to any fraud, and analyze its content: an unknown sender, files with double extension that usually are computer worms or Trojans, even some design change could be an indication of a phishing email. If you decide to open it, check it with an antivirus.
- Do not respond to spam emails, you can give clues to possible attackers or scammers.
- Send your encrypted files: use an application to protect your files. An option can be HushApp, with which you can send and share files in a easy and secure way, it uses end to end encryption. You can also send files to contacts that do not use the application and the information will remain protected.
There is no guarantee that you will have 100% security, cybercriminals use different techniques every time to violate the company’s confidentiality, taking advantage of informing employees on proper security measures will help reduce the chances of being hacked. Therefore, the best way to defend yourself is by being aware of the risks and taking all available prevention measures. From the most complex systems you can implement to simple practices, such as these cybersecurity tips to protect email.